To celebrate my return to Scotland, I thought I would share my SCOTTISH BUCKET LIST with y’all! My list started over two years ago when I moved to Scotland the first time. I achieved some and forgot some. This time around the list is growing and here is the updated version!
Get to know St Andrews like a local. Achieved obviously.
Visit Edinburgh. First visit September 2012.
Visit Edinburgh Castle. Achieved May 2013.
Ride the Jacobite Steam Train. August 2015.
Go to the Highland Games. August 2015.
6) Go to the Isle of Skye.
7) See Eilean Donan Castle.
See a Highland Cow. Achieved in October 2012.
Go to the Highlands. Inverness in December 2012.
See Loch Ness. Achieved May 2013.
See Glasgow. Achieved May 2013.
12) Visit at least 30 historic buildings (To date 25: Edinburgh, Rosslyn, St Andrews, Glamis, Old Inverlochy, Scone, Urquhart, Doune, Stirling, Duart, Inveraray, Tantallon, Dirleton, Craigmillar, Inchmahome Priory, Dunblane Cathedral, Iona Abbey, Cambuskenneth Abbey, Linlithgow Palace, Blackness Castle, Arbroath Abbey, Elgin Cathedral, Falkland Palace, Dunnottar Castle, Culzean).
Go to Loch Lomond. Achieved March 2013.
See the Wallace Monument. Achieved March 2013. Went up in August 2015.
Learn to golf. Achieved (sort of) June 2013.
Visit a Whisky distillery. Visited and tasted in August 2016.
Learn to ceilidh. I tried my hardest in November 2012.
Go to Aberdeen. That weirdly happened when I got lost on my way to Inverness.
19) Visit the fishing village of Pennan.
Have a bonfire on the beach. Achieved repeatedly summer 2013.
Buy products at a Farmer’s Market. Achieved October 2014.
22) Do a New Year Dook.
Have afternoon tea at Hopetoun. Achieved June 2016.
Eat at one of the many Michelin starred restaurants. Tasting menu at The Kitchin in Leith in July 2016.
Do a road trip through the Highlands. Achieved June 2016.
26) Go snowboarding in the Cairngorms.
Visit Culzean Castle in Ayrshire. Done June 2017
28) Do a Robert Burns pilgrimage in Dumfries.
29) Go hiking on the Galloway coastline.
30) Walk/Bike the Fife Coastal Path.
31) Visit Peebles in the Borders.
32) Visit Melrose Abbey.
Visit Stirling Castle. Visited November 2014.
Attend a football. Done January 2016.
Go see the Scotland rugby team play a game. Done in March 2017.
Go to Loch Lomond and weep as I sing ‘Bonnie Banks‘ (I know it’s a weird one, don’t judge me). Achieved, April 2015.
Stay the night in a castle. Cambo Estate, June 2016.
38) Hike one of the Munros.
See the Glenfinnan Viaduct. Seen and rode August 2015.
See the dolphins swimming at Moray Firth. Saw them! June 2016.
41) Go all the way up to Cape Wrath.
See a circle of standing stones. Achieved in Argyll in May 2016.
43) Stay in the Gearrannan Blackhouse Village in the Outer Hebrides.
Go to the Isle of Mull. Drove around the entire island, April 2015.
45) See the uninhabited island of Staffa.
46) Take surfing lessons in Dunbar.
Visit Oban. April 2015 and May 2016.
48) Boat to Orkney and see the Ring of Brodgar.
49) Attend the Up Helly Aa festival in Lerwick on the Shetlands.
50) Visit all 7 of Scotland’s World Heritage Sites :
Old and New Town of Edinburgh, New Lanark, Forth Rail Bridge, Antonine Wall, St Kilda & Heart of Neolithic Orkney.
51) Kayak the Forth of Firth
Abseil down the Forth Rail Bridge. Abseiled in May 2017
53) Go to the Isle of Bute.
54) Bike the Water of Leith.
Go for a show at the Edinburgh Playhouse. The Nutcracker in February 2016.
56) Attend the Military Tattoo
Real Mary Kings Close. Achieved January 2016.
58) Eating lobster from the North Berwick Lobster Shack
Going up Scot Monument. Achieved December 2014.
Camera Obscura. Visited in May 2016.
61) Edinburgh Literary Tour
Edinburgh Zoo. Achieved June 2015.
63) Dynamic Earth
Go to more Fringe shows
65) Going up Arthur’s Seat
66) Harry Potter Tour
Calton Hill Achieved October 2014.
Portobello Beach Achieved December 2014.
69) Walk to Cramond Island
Linlithgow Heritage Trail. Achieved in May 2016.
St Gile’s Cathedral. Achieved September 2015.
Scottish National Gallery. Achieved October 2014.
Scottish National Portrait Gallery. Achieved December 2014.
National Museum of Scotland Achieved October 2014.
The Writer’s Museum. Achieved November 2014.
Edinburgh Royal Botanic Gardens. Achieved January 2016.
Tour the Scottish Parliament. Toured in July 2016.
Go to the Edinburgh Christmas Market. Achieved Nov/Dec. 2014.
Visit North Berwick. Visited November 2014.
Visit the Kelvingrove Museum. Achieved February 2015.
81) Visit the Burrell Collection in Glasgow.
Walk through the Necropolis. Lovely walk in July 2016.
Walk through the Glasgow Green. Lovely walk in April 2016.
Go to a concert in a venue in Glasgow. City & Colour in February 2016.
Go to the Falkirk Wheel. Done September 2017
86) Glasgow Botanic Gardens.
Visit Falkland Palace. Visited in June 2016.
Visit Arbroath and its abbey. Visited in June 2016.
89) Take a boat trip to Eigg.
90) Kitesurf on Barra.
91) Stay the night in a Lighthouse.
Go Ape. Acted like a monkey in July 2016.
93) Visit the Great Map of Scotland
94) Visit a sea life centre
Go to Loch Katrine and ride the steamship Sir Walter Scott. Done September 2017
Go pony trekking in the Scottish nature. Rode a pony called Sam in Lake of Menteith, August 2015.
Visit the Glasgow Science Centre. Visited in September 2016.
Visit Fort George. Seen in June 2016.
99) Visit the Isle of Arran
Visit Pitlochry Dam and Fish Ladder. Seen and climbed in June 2016.
Achieved : 64/100